Monday, February 19, 2007

Small talk

Chinese New Year is a great holiday, but personally, i find making small talk with people you meet only once a year rather tough. You have to try to remember what they do or mentioned last year so you can carry on a conversation...because with CNY signifying happy reunions and gatherings, it is rather rude if you just sat at one small corner acting all anti-social.

The questions usually are quite the same every year so unless you know the person on a more personal level or you chance upon a common interest, topics run out fast....and here i shall confess! ...when the silence gets awkward, I move off by hastily excusing myself to go to the toilet. =P

Because I warm up slowly to people, hitting it off with someone on the first conversation is like really rare for me. (But I'm cordial enough ok? For those thinking I'm 'dao' =P) It happens occasionally though, and when it does, we hit it off really really well!

So, being who I am...i think I've come to appreciate a good conversation. Whether serious, light-hearted or downright crappy...as long as the person listens and expresses himself sincerely.

So right now, even though it feels tough...I'm going to work hard to become a better conversationalist in social events! Ha!

*I started out this post on a whole different topic...but somehow...i think i lost track as I typed on.....am I even making sense? *

No comments: