Wednesday, May 9, 2007

My Dance Story

Blogger's still weird...grrr. Anyway, today's post is about my Dance Story. Did it up for a friend's blog, so thought I'd just post it up over here as well.

ZZ, 24, Freelance Dance Instructor/Performer, Singapore


1. Short introduction about yourself as a dance-lover.


Been a dance-a-holic ever since the age of 4 when my parents signed me up for ballet. Picked up Hip Hop and Jazz along the way and loving it ever since. I’m particularly fond of ballet and contemporary dance because it’s a genre I’m not particular good at, so I love to watch people dance it!


Decided to make Dance my job after I graduated since I didn’t think I’d ever survive a 9-5pm job for long and now, here I am! Still surviving I’d say haha and the passion is getting stronger.


2. What made you get started in the first place?


I only started dancing ballet because I had inverted feet and my parents wanted to correct the problem. *Figures why my turnout sucks!*


3. What keeps you loving dance now?


A) My students.
B) The feeling of going on stage and performing.


4. Where do you get ideas for creating dances?


YouTube!!


5. Describe concepts of the best dance pieces you’ve (or with the help of others) choreographed / conceptualized.


I’ve got lots of concepts and visualizations in my head, haven’t had a chance to actually “physicalise” it yet but my most satisfied choreography to date, you can watch it under "My Choreo, My Dancers". Not actually a concept, Just a big scale montage item. . It’s my first major choreography for a musical production. Hip Hop and Jazz combined.


6. Describe some of your best dance mentors / inspirational figures.


Patrick “Tricky P” Loo - The man who made me love Hip Hop and who got me working hard to unleash the potential I never thought I had.


Also, everyone who has encouraged me along the way!


Inspirational figures….too many to list. If you got the moves, you're the inspiration!


7. How has dance shaped your life positively in other areas? (eg. character, learning skills, physical health, relationships etc)


Dance has brought me out of my shell. I used to be a really shy and introverted girl. When I dance, I feel like I can be anyone I want to be. Dance has taught me that if I am daring enough to just take the first step and try, nothing is impossible.


8. How have you positively impacted others through dance?


Erh…I’d have to ask my students. But, I think I have managed to share and convey the love for dance with them. I am always very touched when my students tell me they enjoyed the class and would like to keep dancing.


A good workout plus happy vibes and an urge to further improve, that’s good enough for now.


9. How would you positively impact others through dance in future?


I’ll take it a step at a time for now…=)

No comments: